Monday, September 2, 2013

A Labor Day Weekend of ... Labor

Our original plans for this Labor Day week was to play a day, and to clean our garage on the other.   These plans got changed when it was discovered that my parents needed some serious yard work help.  We joined Joe and Meredith at my parents house to get their yard in shape.  My parents have a good size yard on a lake.  These past few years it has become much more difficult for them to keep up on the maintenance that is required by the park they live in. 

My parents have a group of illnesses that prevent them from being very mobile.  We have reached a point where we as the children need to help take care of the parents, but not too much.  After spending the whole weekend working there (at least Joe and Meredith, Glenn and I did not go over Sunday) we are putting in place a schedule for us to help maintain the place.  Meredith and I will come over monthly (each of us 2 weeks apart) to do some general house keeping, and then monthly we will work on the yard and help keep it up. 

I think this may be good for all the kids.  Pirate Cousin and Army Man are getting old enough that helping Grandma and Grandpa with their yard will be a good learning experience.  And Emma is all over helping clean right now.  She even helped on Saturday with weeding. I think this is a good way for them to learn Service and about taking care of their family. 

No comments:

Post a Comment