Thursday, June 21, 2012

Visiting the Temple

 I am the Primary Secretary, and as part of my calling I was asked to put together a Temple Visit Activity.  One of our ward goals is to have every member of the ward visit the temple this year. This activity is our attempt to help families get the kids there.

We have a large primary, so we decided having an activity at the temple with all our kids was not practical.  We were concerned with not only the logistics, but also the reverence factor.  If all of our active children attended, we were looking at over 60 kids (not counting the nursery children.) So, to help our children attend and keep things simple and reverent, we decided to personally invite all the families in our Primary and Nursery to attend, and provide them with and activity.

 On a beautiful June day, Emma and I visited the Portland Temple to do our research.  We started at the Portland Temple Visitors Center and spoke with a wonderful Sister Missionary there.  Our visit ended up being timely as she had just received a "Temple Treasure Hunt" from another primary leader in another stake for the same purpose.  She was able to share that information with me which we included with our invite.


 Even with that information, Emma and I decided to take a walk around the temple, and gather our own information.  I went ahead and created a Walking Tour of the Portland Temple with some fun temple facts. I loved creating this activity, and sharing the temple grounds with my daughter.  I love the temple and want her to as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment